Sprinklers Prevent Fire Spread at Clothing Retailer
19 July 2010
A fire at a fashion retailer has been successfully contained by the activation of an automatic sprinkler system.
Around 20 firefighters from North Wales and Cheshire fire and rescue services arrived at the Dorothy Perkins store at the Broughton retail park art around 8.00am on Thursday 24 June. They found the fire had been contained to a ground floor fitting room in the two-storey building.
Crews used two sets of breathing apparatus and two hose reel jets to ensure the fire was extinguished. Damage was limited to the light fitting itself and light smoke damage to the changing room cubicle.
Kevin Brain from North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was caused by a faulty light fitting which overheated. “As the fire intensified and the temperature increased, the automatic sprinkler system was activated and effectively extinguished the fire. Without the system, the fire could have spread quickly and caused the complete loss of stock in the store, substantial damage to the building and adjacent buildings, as well as endangering lives.”
Click here for more information.