Legionnaires' bug found in Wishaw Sports CentreCreated on Wednesday, 01 June 2011 11:16
Wishaw Sports Centre closed its doors last week after the bug which can cause the potentially fatal Legionnaires’ Disease was found.
Leisure bosses were left with no option but to shut down the busy facility after the bacteria was detected in the plumbing system on Wednesday evening.
Legionella was picked up on shower heads and taps in the centre’s dry side changing areas during routine testing – which happens once a month – and on advice from the Health and Safety Executive the building was immediately shut.
Fitness fans were forced elsewhere all day Thursday as a “comprehensive cleaning process” of the centre’s water system was undertaken and the centre opened again on Friday.
Legionnaires’ Disease is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia caused by the bacterium Legionella pneumophila and carries the same symptoms as a normal flu.
When the Wishaw Press went to print yesterday (Tuesday), there had been no cases of Legionnaires’ Disease in the area. The advice given by Wishaw Sports Centre to members calling last week was to check with your local GP if you are feeling unwell.
A spokesman for North Lanarkshire Leisure said: “As part of our routine testing and prevention programme, we discovered a small number of elevated Legionella readings in the dry side area of the sports centre.
“We work closely with the Health and Safety Executive at all times and as soon as we became aware of the situation, we agreed to voluntarily close the centre yesterday evening (Wednesday, May 25) for further investigation and treatment of the areas concerned.
“Where possible we notified our customers and apologised to them for any inconvenience caused. Their health and safety and that of our staff is our prime concern.”
The Health and Safety Executive were staying tight-lipped when quizzed last week, saying: “North Lanarkshire Leisure are cooperating with the Health and Safety Executive in a health investigation.”